Crypt of San Magno in Anagni
The Crypt of San Magno, defined as the "Sistine Chapel of the Middle Ages" was built by the bishop Pietro da Salerno, at the same time as the Cathedral between 1072 and 1104. It was to serve as a treasure chest for the conservation of all that a cathedral has the most sacred : the relics of the saints. The environment has three transverse naves with respect to those of the upper church and three apses. The twelve columns identify twenty-one times which, with their respective walls, are decorated with a pictorial cycle of exceptional beauty that tells the story of man’s Salvation, from its creation to the end of time. The frescoes are attributed to three workshops of anonymous artists known as Primo Maestro di Anagni or Maestro delle Traslazioni, Second Maestro of Anagni or Maestro Ornatista and Terzo Maestro of Anagni. For stylistic and historical reasons, the frescoes in the Crypt are placed between the end of the 12th century and the first half of the 13th century.